Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Fontly iPhone App - Can't access the camera roll.

I just downloaded the Fontly app.

The app is a terrific idea!

That said, I do have a complaint.

In iTunes, the pictures included which show the app, include a picture which makes it look as if it is possible for the user to upload a photo from the camera roll of the iPhone.

I looked, and looked, and looked.  And, unless it is right in front of my nose and I just don't see, there doesn't look to be a way to access the camera roll.

Please, please, please, include the option to upload from the camera roll.

That, or remove the screenshot which implies that you can!

This is screenshot of the example image which is up for Fontly.  It makes it look as if it is possible for the user to access the camera roll of the phone.

When I click on the camera, I don't see any option to access the camera roll.  How do I access the camera roll?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for the feedback. We launched Fontly last night and have been testing with a small group of designers and typo-enthusiasts over the past week or so. I'm glad to read that you discovered Fontly!

    We decided at the last minute not to include the Camera Roll for a key reason:

    This iPhone App is geo-position driven with photos and meta-tags tied to a physical location/address. I know that by having an option to upload from Camera Roll, it would detract from the geo-tagging aspect and fill the app with noisy data and inaccurately placed images. I've seen from activity on Instagram and my own personal experiences, that people upload images from their homes, offices, cafes, and down the street from the actual spot they shot the image.

    I hope you understand our position on excluding Camera Roll from the equation. We'll be updating the App Store screenshot and adding some new improvements when we push our next version!

    Thanks once again for downloading Fontly and for your feedback. We really appreciate it!

    Thank you,
    Brendan Ciecko @ Fontly
    http://font.ly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, have you got a chance to look at a similar app called fontli?

    ReplyDelete